Wetmore Community Cemetery Incorporated.
Welcome to the Wetmore Community Cemetery Inc. (WCCI)
In 2000, our cemetery was awarded a historical cemetery designation. The dedication was held April 21, 2001. Special thanks to Mr. Muehlstein, Grand President of Hermann Sons for their generous donation covering the purchase of the historical marker from the State of Texas.
Enclosed or significant historical events in the creation of this cemetery. I hope that you will enjoy learning more about this area and its residents.
The cemetery has guidelines and Bi-Laws that you were encouraged to follow both for your safety, and the overall upkeep, appearance and integrity of this Historical Cemetery. These guidelines are posted inside the front gate and by the Pavilion of the cemetery. You are also given by-laws and notices are on https://wetmorecemetery.com/ . Again, welcome to WCCI, and we encourage any ideas and financial support that you deem appropriate.
Thank you,
Nathan Reeh
President
Wetmore Community Cemetery Inc.
Wetmore Community Cemetery
Formally known as the Seay Community Cemetery
Thomas Jackson was a native of Ireland. His date of birth is unknown, but it’s recorded that he formally registered in the Dewitt Colony on May 1, 1831. Thomas Jackson received a land grant of 3,456 acres on the west bank of the Guadalupe River about 10 miles south of Gonzales.i
He was married to Louise Cottle, sister, of George Washington, Cottle, who died with Jackson at the Alamo. The Jacksons had four children that lived with them in their ranch near Gonzales.ii
What the Mexican army gave the settlers at Gonzales a Cannon to use in their defense against the Tonkawa Indian raids. Realizing the eminent danger of a revolution, the Mexican army sent a group of Dragoons to Gonzales to forcibly capture the cannon from the settlers. Thomas Jackson was one of the “Old 18” who refused to surrender the cannon and challenged the Dragoons to, “Come and Take It.”
With the newly created “Come and Take It” flag fluttering above their heads, Jackson, with the “Old 18” fired the first shot of the Texas Revolution. Lieutenant Castaneda and his Dragoons retreated to San Antonio.
On March 1, 1836, Thomas Jackson, and 31 other Texas heroes enter the Alamo in answer to Colonel William B, Travis’ request for reinforcements.iii At dawn on the morning of March 6, 1836 in a final assault in the Alamo, under the direction of the President of Mexico, General Antonio López de Santa Anna, the Alamo fell.iv
The defenders of the Alamo could see the red flag of “No Quarter” from the single tower of San Fernando Cathedral, which was Santa Anna’s headquarters. This put the defenders on notice that all will be put to the sword. They had no incentive to surrender. They fought valiantly until they were all dead or captured.
Santa Anna, then drag their bodies from the Alamo, Paul, them in front of the mission, and put them to the torch. Today, the defenders’ remains rest in State in a common casket in the vestibule of the San Fernando Cathedral.
Because of the supreme sacrifice made by Private Thomas Jackson at the Alamo, his widow was given title to a “bounty” of 607 acres of which this land 2.5 acres is a small part. v,vi,vii This 2.5 acres is contiguous to a trail commonly referred to as: “Old Spanish Trail”, “Camino Real”, “Kings Highway”, and Nacogdoches Road.viii. Indians, traveling northeast out of what would one day be San Antonio originally used this trail. As European settlers came to this area, they adopted this trail and named it Kings Highway. The Kings Highway ran through the present town of Wetmore along what is now Stahl Road. It continued as the western boundary of what is now the Wetmore cemetery and then on to Louisiana.
It was a long this Kings Highway, that Mexican General Gaona hurried along with his reinforcements for General Santa Anna. General Gaona traveled to the bank of the Colorado river at Bastrop, where he received word Santa Anna had surrendered the day before, at the battle of San Jacinto.
During the Mexican War for Independence, the Spanish had blockaded the Gulf of Mexico shoreline. This made it impossible for the Mexican government to ship silver to the various arms and munitions suppliers. Therefore, the poorly armed Mexican soldiers lead silver laden burrow trains, along the Old Spanish Trail to Natchitoches, Louisiana them by riverboat to New Orleans. At New Orleans, the silver could be converted to armament.
These long poorly guarded silver trains made a tempting target for highwaymen in the area. These robbers would attack the trains, cutting loose the last 10-15 burros, and abscond north with them. The hostile Comanche Indians living around this 2.5 acres precluded the poorly hard Mexicans from chasing after their silver. The bandits within circle back to San Antonio, where the silver could be sold.
The 2.5 acres continued to be a magnet for the Comanche Indians to use as a campsite and a springboard for attacking farms and ranches in the area. Its’ proximity to Lookout Hill made it a valued location for the ambush of settlers and Tonkawa Indians. The bodies of some of these Indians were buried at or near Wetmore Cemetery. It is believed Indian burials at the cemetery date back to the early 1800s.
The founder of Hermann Sons in Texas Jakob Goll, and his wife, Mary Barbara are interred at their family plot in Wetmore Cemetery. His family is one of significant historical importance to Texas.
Jakob and family move from New York to the Seay community, located along the banks of the Seay Creek, (northwest of the cemetery from what is now Friesenhahn Park along the railroad tracks to thousand Oaks Road) which is now referred to as a Wetmore, in 1846. The Goll’s were very active in church, Italian what is now called, La Villita Church.
Jakob Goll, being a member of Hermann Sons in New York, then founded the first Hermann Sons Lodge, Harmonia lodge #1, in Texas, in 1861. The original Hermann Sons Lodge was named after Hermann the Cherusker, an early German hero, who defeated the Roman legions at the battle of Teutoburg Forest in the year, AD 9.
Hermann Sons Was originally established as a charitable organization to care for widows, orphans, and other needy persons. It was developed over the years to include many other activities, i.e. issuing life insurance, and becoming an active social club.
When first formed, attendance was mandatory, and one could be excused from a meeting only by getting prior permission. During the Civil War, cards were issued allowing those who served in the military to be excused from meetings.
To historical figures from the Reeh family are interred at the cemetery, Rudolph and Eleanor Reeh. Eleanor Reinarz Reeh was the daughter of Johann Wilhelm and Fredericke Reinarz. They immigrated from Roetgen in the year 1844 on the ship Johann Dethardt. They were among the first group to arrive on the Texas coast at Carlshafen (Indianola) where they were meant by Prince Solms, and who led them to an area he just purchased. Very it was to become the city of New Braunfels, thus young Eleanor who is six at the time became one of the first founders of New Braunfels.
Rudolph, unfortunately, was not so lucky. He arrived on the coast of Texas in 1845 with his father, Christian, and his sister and her family Elisabethe and Jacob Schmidt. The German Adelsverein had run out of money, and transportation, for the immigrants was not available. Rudolph, then 15, found himself in a tent colony on the Texas beach, not knowing when they would be able to travel to their new homes. It was at this time heavy rains hit the coast and diseases such as cholera spread through the Colonist families.
When Rudolph finally came to New Braunfels, his father had succumbed to the journey and was buried somewhere between the coast and new Braunfels. It’s assumed that Rudolph stayed with his sister, Elisabethe Schmidt, but she also died soon from the cholera epidemic in 1846, which spread through new Braunfels.
He then made his way to new Braunfels, where he met his wife to be and was married to Eleanor October 23, 1855. Eleven children were born to this family, of which only one perished, which was quite a feat in the infant mortality rate at that time.
Having lost all his family, one can only assume that he was dedicated to preserving all that was left. When the Civil War broke out Rudolph enlisted in the Confederate Forces. He served with company F, under Captain Podewil, which was grouped under the 26th Woods Regiment. This group primarily made up the coastal defenses. The only action that they are known to live scene was at Blairs Landing in the Louisiana area. This was part of the battle of Mansfield. Many of them suffered, however, from exposure and disease from living in primitive encampments.
Rudolph lived to the age of 75 would after a stroke, he was left partially paralyzed. This devastated him, since he was always active on his farm. He was at this time that he moved to the Seay/Wetmore area to be close to his children, Luis and Gustav, who were helping in his care. Finally, on March 19, 1906, he died and was buried at the Seay/ Wetmore Cemetery. His wife was to follow on August 10, 1912, and lies next to him.
It should be noted that on June 17, 1886 Rudolph and Fredrecka Stahl sold/donated land to the Seay Graveyard association. There’s a manager to 2 1/2 acres for $30 in order to establish the cemetery for the Seay Community. Seay is now a lost community. And very few even remember its existence anymore. In summary, here are some key historical issues regarding Rudolph and Eleanor.
1. They both arrived in Texas when it was still republic.
2. Eleanor is one of the first founders of New Braunfels.
3. Rudolph served under company F of the 26 Woods Regiment in the Civil War.
4. Rudolph donated land towards the establishment of Wetmore cemetery.
_______________
i- land grant, Sello Tercero, Road: Dos Reales.
ii- Ann Graham Gaines, feel mortal Thirty Two, 36
iii- Reproduction list from pioneer museum monument, Gonzales, Texas, admin, and travel to Alamo as reinforcements.
iv- Bill Groneman, The Handbook Of Texas Online (Jackson, Tomas)
v- survey number 323, 607 acres, Bexar County, April 18, 1853
vi- Description of 2.5 December 30, 1981.
vii-Information on 607 acre bounty for Thomas Jackson(heirs)
viii-Map of Old Kings Highway